Name:
Location: Cheshire, Connecticut, United States

devilishly handsome, screamingly funny, overly modest

Friday, November 04, 2005

11-04-2005

Free at last! No post on McE requiring thought or response. No comments on my last blog that need my attention, although I should thank Brett and Aldon for their very helpful links. By the way, I don't think Bora was being condescending, with him that's a character trait. My lack of technical expertise doesn't need defending, I wear it like a badge (or maybe in this medium a purple heart). I think many bloggers use tech pyrotechnics to cover up a lack of creative writing talent. I think this is particularly true of anyone so devoid of literary judgment to criticize my blog. Imagine.

Because I promised a sweet, young thing (aren't they all?) that I would, I'm providing here a follow-up to my earlier description of Trinity as a "Stepford campus" . My conclusion had been that everybody dressed similarly, had the same hair style, even the same voice intonations. Everybody looked so damn neat, clean, and preppy I wanted to throw my coffee on somebody to see if he was coated with teflon.

So.....I sat myself down at the Bistro to try a rethink, hoping that fall garb would bring out some individuality. No such luck. The guys all wore jeans (spanking clean of course) or long shorts , sneakers or some kind of flip-flop or Berkenstock, plus tee, golf shirt or botton-down. But , with almost no exception, the dress code screams PREP. The girls are slightly more creative in their style choices. Some, thin to the point of emaciation, wear jeans a size too small. Healthier looking girls hide their curves with baggier jeans or sweats. Why is that, I wonder? When did curves ceased to be sexy and the anorexic look become the ideal? It's a world I never made , that's for sure. Even given a slight degree of style difference (some girls wore short skirts and slippers or flats) ,the overpowering influence is still PREP. By the way , other than office staff I haven't seen a woman (or girl) in heels on campus. I'm a guy , so I have no clue about that. I missed the meeting where all the women got together and decided, "OK, no heels on campus this semester". Actually, I think I miss a lot of meetings.

Before I leave this blog, I would be remiss if I failed to mention that the SYT mentioned earlier was an outstanding exception to my complaint about our endemic campus drabness. Standing out like swans among pigeons, she and her friend cut a palpable swath through the crowd as they proceded to their table. She was wearing a very au courant outfit featuring a spaghetti-strapped tank top. I asked her if she were a fashion major(do they have those here?). She said no, art history. Disappointing, still creative but as an observer. Still , lucky for the art department.

I'm looking forward to matching Rusty Nail shots with Brett at our next class. What, you say, that's not the deal. One can always hope, however.

Later.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brett E. Lassoff said...

Um, the last time I did a rusty nails shot, I ended up sitting on the curb outside a 7/11 demanding they bring back Mountain Dew slurpees. Damn that was a good night.

12:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home