Name:
Location: Cheshire, Connecticut, United States

devilishly handsome, screamingly funny, overly modest

Monday, February 19, 2007

What a Feeling !

As some of you know, I stopped blogging a few months ago because recovering from my (second) knee replacement didn't allow me to sit at the computer for more than a few minutes or my knee would painfully "freeze" up. About a month and a half ago, however, I decided to start blogging again, and discovered to my dismay that I had to change my system from beta something to some other technojibberish. Naturally it's taken me all this time to dare to do this.

When I asked some of my blog friends (a term which I used advisedly for the reasons upcoming) for help I received shrieks of derisive laughter followed by sarcastic commentary re my technophobia. None of this was helpful for the purpose of getting me started again. I need either new friends or considerably more knowledge about this contraption I'm operating here. Note that I didn't use the term "new-fangled". The equipment's been here awhile, it's me who's not fangled enough.

Before advertising idiots screwed up the responses on my last blog, there were some interesting comments that I should address. First, to the lady who accused me of retreating before her confrontation concerning my remarks about undergraduates lowering the educational standard in graduate-level courses, I have two thoughts. One, I never retreat- I was probably getting ready to attack from the rear (of which she and I both have ample). Second, I took her remarks seriously enough to consult my "round table" group and other grad students and found that my negative opinions re undergrad academic motivation and maturity (I'd underline that last word if I knew how to underline) was fully shared. I can't completely convey the reasons for this to an undergrad because you have to be a grad student to have the maturity to understand them. I've always been good at circular reasoning- it's very convenient for winning arguments where logic doesn't have a prayer.

The other comment, concerning my abilities vis-a-vis James Joyce, moves me to point out two obvious differences in our talents. One , I'm not Irish and two, you can actually understand what I've written (occasionally). On the other hand similarities abound. For instance both of us had our hands whacked by misguided teachers at age 7. We could be twins.

Nice to be back, see you.... later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home