Name:
Location: Cheshire, Connecticut, United States

devilishly handsome, screamingly funny, overly modest

Sunday, April 09, 2006

Can I Exist As a Civilized Entity

I recently made a comment on bluegirl's blog which stated that a male in our society described as "civil", or worse yet "nice", has difficulty succeeding in the modern version of the sexual sweepstakes. This drew a round of protest from some females, including my personal idolette of femininity, the intrepid blue herself. For that reason, I'm going to try a personality makeover and live, at least for a week or so, as a "civilized" man.

Anyone who knows me, or at least has read this blog, knows how difficult this is going to be. I have lived my life thus far as the quintessential wise-ass, lampooning society and conventional mores and morality with what some consider to be outrageous words and (gasp) behavior. I've always delighted in poking fun at conventional "civilized" behavior and more specifically those who practice it.For some indeterminable reason, this personal presentation on my part has what appears to be a minor aphrodsiacal effect on the opposite sex. I know this because women have always been unreasonably drawn to me, and there's no other logical explanation. This attraction has continued even though I'm too old, too married, and carry too much avoirdupois to account for it.

My friend Brett and his friend Rdogg, observing the reaction of an undergrad student with whom I had a brief chat, surmised that it was my "attitude" and an air of self-confidence. I think it has more to do with my lifestyle of civil disobedience (oh why has that disappeared as a political tool?) and social irreverence, which women pick up as a huge blip on their radar.

Nonetheless, I'm going to go a week as a "civil" human being. No wise-ass remarks, no sarcastic put-downs (even when deserved), and polite conventional response to all situations. I'll then report back on the reactions of people to this (especially females). Maybe I'll learn something.

On a completely different note, a comment on my last post asked for more explication of my experience with the drug "ecstacy". I've done this in a previous narrative a few months ago, but I'll be glad to recount in more detail next time.

Later.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea for an experiment! I will post on your experiment and see what others think. (Remember, I said there must be a *tiny, tiny* bit of badness.

Thanks for the link...that was so nice of you.

Hee-hee.

5:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George decides to do everything the opposite of what he usally does. I think he got the girl in that episode.

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill,

I need your input would you send
me your email address. I'm the woman in your class who sat next to Patti. My email address is:
probinson02@snet.net

Thank you,
Priscilla Robinson

5:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home