Name:
Location: Cheshire, Connecticut, United States

devilishly handsome, screamingly funny, overly modest

Monday, January 23, 2006

Lucky Pierre

This is a variation on the on the age-old joke that goes like this, sorta:
Lucky Pierre says to his friend, "I write beautiful anti-war blogs. Do they call me Pierre the peace blogger? Non. I write great serio-comic anecdote blogs. Do they call me Pierre the diary writer? Non. But I write ONE TIME about sex......". Call me Lucky.

I seem to have a penchant for saying things in conversation that cause my listeners to do double and triple takes. This is usually not a ploy, I just say what's on the top of my mind and people look at me strangely. I guess the same thing happens when I write a blog. My problem is figuring out whether strange is , in Martha-speak, a good thing.

For instance, in college I developed what I called the "theory of beneficience". In this concept I expounded on my conviction that any woman with whom I had sex significantly benefitted from the experience. My roommates, after having that triple-take reaction aforementioned, pointed cynically to the series of relationship disasters I had left in my wake. I replied that disasters are in the eye of the beholder, and proceded blithely on to my next shipwreck, clinging somewhat stubbornly to my Theory. To this day I insist that the basic conclusions of this hypothesis are correct, although I still seem to get those strange looks whenever I defend it.

The reaction to my last blog where I innocently declared that sexual freedom is a good thing is me getting in trouble again for no good reason. Blue girl had to defend herself from nasty misinterpretation (I promise I touched nothing but my keypad, although I LOVE mesh stockings). Nile was "taken aback" by my conversational wanderings, but that's OK, I have a pretty broad back. Two anonymous posts implied (stated, actually) that I was a nothing but a (gasp) philanderer. (But, Grandma, wasn't I the best philanderer I know how to be?).

I keep asking myself, "Doesn't anybody have fun anymore?". Maybe I should stop having some fun myself, it seems to be upsetting people, and I have to care about that or I'll never be allowed to vote Republican.

Later.

3 Comments:

Blogger Aldon Hynes said...

You know, when I started to read this blog post, I was wondering if you were going to make a comment about a previous President who brought economic prosperity, but is perhaps best known for his infidelity.

5:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I seem to have a penchant for saying things in conversation that cause my listeners to do double and triple takes."

I have that very same talent! Always have. Just happened a couple of times over the holidays. Perfectly innocent musings that either shocked people or bored them to death. I couldn't tell which.

And you wonder if it's a good thing.

Well, I've often wondered that myself. It's uncomfortable and weird when you say something you've been pondering for awhile just because it's interesting and when you say it, people look at you like you're from Mars.

But I've decided that that's just me. I'll just have to suffer through life being misunderstood by a lot of people.

I did have *fun* with your posts. And your comment. You gave me something to write about on Saturday! So thanks for that.

But, let me tell you one thing. Don't you ever vote Republican! Ever!

That, ma dear, would not be havin' any fun at all.

:)

5:28 AM  
Blogger Dems for Education said...

First of all, taken aback is a good thing -- I think? Just being honest, my friend. I've since wondered why exactly our discussion threw me off a bit. I think it's because at this point in my life, I'm pretty used to the roles I've assumed, and the boundaries that come with those roles. Since I've been married for, like, a long time, I assume that other people see me as "off limits," "not interested," etc. This give me a certain comfort and freedom to operate under those assumptions. I can, for instance, have probing, and occasionally flirtaeous, conversation with men I meet, because we all know the boundaries.

You threw me for a loop because you have different boundaries. All of sudden, it meant that you might be operating on a different level in our conversations -- not that you WERE, but that you COULD. This meant I had to reassess all of my assumptions about what other people assume about me -- phew, could you follow that? Anyway, I think it's good that you speak your mind, and it's good for me to realize that not everyone has the same set of boundaries in their lives as me. Well, duh, I should know that, right, but you challenged me.

So that's the follow-up. Good luck with your knee surgery, and don't stop laying it all out there.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home