Name:
Location: Cheshire, Connecticut, United States

devilishly handsome, screamingly funny, overly modest

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Shouldn't I Be More Depressed?

I just watched Nancy Giles (what a stone FOX) on CBS Sunday Morning doing an article which reported that a scientist, supported by a recent survey, found that Jan. 23 was the most depressing day of the year. She then went on to pooh-pooh all surveys and that one in particular. It made me think, though, that there's a lot to be depressed about out there.

Politcally, the current administration seems to have no handle on anything except that on which they have the WRONG handle. They invented a phony excuse to fight a war (nuclear weapons) which they blamed on bad intelligence (more like no intelligence). Now they (notice I don't say "we", our country supports none of this horse-patootie) insist on getting a bunch of people killed fighting a non-war, manipulating rather than mediating an impossible conflict. I try to avoid thinking about it , hoping maybe it'll go away, but it doesn't.

When I was drafted into military service years ago, I decided to be a patriot and suppress my outspoken anti-war feelings and be, as they say, "the best I could be " in the military. I worked hard, became an officer (OCS), and actually shot and killed the "enemy" while being shot at myself. All this was significantly opposed to my beliefs, but curiouslyI was somewhat proud of my Army record until recently. It has become conspicuously clear that our military has evolved into a totally corrupt, amoral mechanism. Torture was something the bad guys did, and unlike the romanticized actions of Jack on "24", it's really ,really wrong, people. Torture hurts everyone,even the torturers.

The crushing blow for me was the recent discovery that Arab women were being imprisoned to coerce their husbands to surrender. I can't imagine a more heinous "military" program. No wonder the opposition is kidnapping newswomen to force us to release these female prisoners (they can do this, they're the bad guys). And where is the Commander -in-Chief in all this? Probably off gathering "bad intelligence". Does the buck ever stop at the Teflon W?

I should also be depressed at the sky-rocketing price of oil. Surprise, surprise, we elect two oil men and the price goes up. The solution, apparently, is not to put on a rush program to find alternative power, or to build refineries which would process a wider variety of fossil fuels, but to dig up our natural parks ASAP. Surprise, surprise. Not so much if you ask the Holmsian question, "Qui bono?".

So should I be more depressed? Nah, I'm an optimistic kind of guy. I'm way past depressed. I"m pissed off.

Later.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brett E. Lassoff said...

Nancy Giles is indeed quite a fox

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nancy Giles rocks!

Papa Bill, I'm sorry you were in a war. Don't know what else to say about that.

And yes, regarding your question and the issue you raise here about US soldiers taking Iraqi wives prisoner....yeah. I read that.

Nothing seems to shock anyone into action anymore.

What on earth is going to happen?

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least your military experience can give your view about the military more weight than if you never served.

I'm pretty stunned and baffled at how bad things can get with the current admistration....so much is wrong that it almost seems unapproachable at this point.

PS We were 9 children. I have 6 (not 7) other siblings. I counted wrong! Since losing my brothers I can't keep the number straight.

5:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home